If you've been keeping up with all the Oscar buzz this week, you now know that 9 year old Quvenzhane Wallis is a force to be reckoned with! The breakout star of Beasts of the Southern Wild, won the Critics' Choice Award for best young actor earlier this week and will go head to head with with Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty), Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook ), Emmanuelle Riva (Amour) and Naomi Watts (The Impossible) for the coveted honor of the 2013 Acandemy Award.
Quickly becoming America's next big sweetheart, check out 5 reasons why we love Hollywood's new leading lady:
1. Quvenzhane was only five when she got the part in Beasts of the Southern Wild. She had to lie about her age to be eligible!
2. She couldn't even read when she auditioned.
3. She's the youngest ever Oscar nominee! She said, "I almost missed it. I was sleeping." In addition, she calls the Oscar "golden man." (too cute)
4. She chose the actor that plays her dad in the film based on the fact that he brought her sweets.
5. Upon receipt of her Critics' Choice Award, she pulled out her cell phone to read her acceptance speech. She read, "Thanks to Mr. Benh Zeitlin and the Court 13 family for thinking I could make a good Hushpuppy." She thanked God before adding, "Last to my family, friends, and fans. Good night."
Words by: Ruthie Hawkins/@ruubabie