Oatmeal is healthy, hearty and sometimes a little boring. Quinoa is a great hot cereal when your standby isn’t doing the trick. This simple recipe is done in minutes, perfect for busy mornings. Courtesy of Epicurious.
1 cup quinoa (all red or a mix of red, white, or black)
1 1/2 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
1/4 teaspoon salt
Broken or chopped walnuts, pure maple syrup or honey, milk, and flaky sea salt such as Maldon
1. Wash quinoa in several changes of water in a bowl, rubbing grains and letting them settle before pouring off water (if quinoa does not settle, drain in a large fine-mesh sieve after each rinse), until water is clear.
2. Drain washed quinoa well in a large fine-mesh sieve.
3. Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan and bring to a boil, covered. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and keep covered to keep warm. Remove cinnamon sticks.
6. Divide quinoa among bowls and top with walnuts, maple syrup or honey, milk, and sea salt.