Without question, despite a recent report from a Stanford study noting that non-organic/conventional produce has the same nutritional value as organic, I am confident that the less exposure to toxic pesticides the better. Organic is still a WIN for me. There were many reported flaws with the study that should prompt shoppers to reconsider organic if they left the concept in the dust. Furthermore, when it comes to fruits and vegetables that are “sprayed” (with inorganic pesticides) the health impact of the chemicals used deserves special evaluation.
Most pesticides are of a type called organophosphates. No need to remember that name but important to know that these pesticides are toxic to the nervous system. They are not only poison to insects but humans as well, with regards to nerve functioning. One would wonder how such a harmful chemical would be allowed to come close to our food supply at all. To avoid going on a total tangent, let’s remember that it all comes down to the bottom line. To make a case for those who use inorganic pesticides, they do in fact break down with exposure to air, sun and soil to a point. Nevertheless, there are trace amounts of pesticide in and/or on the food sprayed and it only takes a little bit to have an impact.
Numerous studies have shown a consistent link between organophosphates and ADHD. As early as fetal development, a pregnant mother eating conventional food can introduce pesticide residue to the blood stream. This presence is even documented as having a tie with low birth weight in babies and a lower IQ in children. There have also been numerous additional nervous system disorders or challenges linked to long-term exposure. Eating an organic-based diet may be an option in addressing these issues since it would eliminate ingestion of the neurotoxin.
Don’t give up on organic. Sometimes what is cheap is that way for a reason. Be mindful of how your food is processed. It is after all what you put in your body every day.
Words By: Dr. Lisa Hollingsworth Upshaw