Where can you get a case of 100 rolls of toilet papers and a 60 pack of Dial soap and still leave with a smile and a lighter wallet? Of course, one of your friendly wholesale warehouses! For years, I harbored a secret about my shopping habits -I loved shopping at wholesale warehouses. It didn’t matter the company or location, I would seek them out and shop there until my heart was content. This was my recreation, my feel good time when I wanted to be alone. I would come home with baskets full of goodies and my husband would fuss but just go with the flow. Heck, he loved eating all of those 100 pack of crackers I would buy!
Then when my family grew from 3 members to 5 members, everything changed. Now I had to shop at the wholesale warehouses out of a necessity. I remember the first day I got sticker shop by going into a regular grocery store shopping for my family of five. I walked out the store with a $400 grocery bill! I was floored. Something had to change, so I decided that I was going to have to make a difference and shop full time at the wholesale warehouse. Apparently I’m not alone because according to the AARP, there are more than 75 million card-carrying members of America’s obsession with warehouse shopping!
So I know the question is HOW do I save money when I’m at a place where I can buy a thousand rolls of toilet paper?
Here are some tips that I use to save money and keep my debit card from burning up!
1. I buy all of my meat from there. In any family the majority of any grocery bill is meat. So instead of going to the grocery store to buy meat, I go to the wholesale warehouses because their meat is cheaper-and many times of a better quality.
2. Before I go into the stores, I take inventory of what we need. Then I go and get it (even if it’s in bulk) and store it appropriately.
3. I use coupons. Some warehouses will take coupons on top of their already low prices. Call your local store and inquire!
4. I plan ahead. Buying in bulk requires you to plan ahead, so I make grocery lists and take inventory of what I have already.
5. In the end, I love these places. If you’re ever looking for me, roll up to a discount warehouse I’ll be in there shopping! My MommyNoire family, do you shop at warehouses?
Words By: Franchesca Lane-Warren